Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from 2016

All about the Diamond Sword!

My grandson #2 loves Minecraft!  He helped me layout the skateboard blocks on grandson #1's quilt and I really thought I would make 2 to match.  Later his Dad told me he was not really into skateboards, but reminded me of his love of minecraft.  I showed him Weeknight Quilting's blog and asked if he thought I should do one like hers.   (The graph she drew up is wonderful!) So it was agreed.  The Diamond Sword was started!   I like to use my AccuQuilt for most of my  cutting and since I only had a 5" square die at that time, that's the size I cut my pieces.  There are a ton of squares!  Following the graph, I laid them out in sections on a flannel board and sewed.  and sewed.  Finally it was coming together!  I could see a sword!
I used scraps of different whites, creams and grays and blues. My girlfriend had the gold and I did add to the grays with a fat quarter pack from JoAnn's premium fabrics.  Then I saw a perfect print for the center of the sword!  
I got all the…

Tension relief! ...finally...

After weeks of off and on unpicking stitches, I finally was able to finish the Skateboard quilt number 1 and am onto the next one!



This twin size quilt is bound in yellow and wrapped up, ready to be gifted to my #1 grandson.  I am pleased with it and hopefully he will be, too!
So, what did I do to fix the tension on my longarm?  Very simple.  I asked for young eyes and fingers to help me.  In my tension sagas, I related how I used videos to retime my machine, cleaned every nook and cranny, changed umpteen needles, tried different threading variations, felt and looked for burs and sanded everything.  I felt I couldn't get down and look under the quilt one more time!  Finally I talked about it at the dinner table with my daughter and family and told them I give up.  Remember I did call the nearest dealer and repair person and she said she couldn't come.  My daughter says, don't give up, let me look.  I explained what I had done and why and she took out the bobbin case, did wha…

Oh no! Tension!

Well,  today I am unpicking the entire first row of my quilt.  Tension.  Need I say more. I have been working with this wonderful old machine and in practice it began, finally,  too work just right.

I happily,  and I thought,  Beautifully quilted the entire first row of skateboards then the border.  I cheerfully started rolling it to the next section and this is what I saw. .. Can you see all the loops? When I investigated the tension spring broke so I have had to order a new one and now need to learn to install it.  So now the seam ripper and I are becoming goods friends.   Hopefully the next blog will have it all done and ready to bind! 

Making a Collage Quilt

    Making a Collage Quilt








Last year I took a class with Loretta Orsborn of Loretta’s Quilting Bliss and I just loved it!  It was an exercise in design, color and balance.  We had so much fun and everyone’s quilt came out beautiful that we requested she make a paper pattern so others can enjoy this technique, too.  
Well she did!    The first thing she had us do is find a focus fabric or theme that we wanted to follow through in the quilt.  Then gather up fabric that will match or enhance this theme.  I wanted to use fabric from my stash and for the most part was able to. Then we were taught to make a strip set of 1 1/2” fabric strips from fabric that we plan to use throughout the quilt.  That was the fun and easy part.  Then on to the designing. She provides in the pattern a wonderful grid to help us design and use all the fabrics we want.  I chose to make mine in batiks that I have been collecting up for a few years.  I wanted a fall theme so I found a nice border print fabric that I cou…

An Important Delay!

When I started this blog last week, I had full intention of blogging twice a week about all my sewing adventures!  Well, this happened:
So little Finn was born and it kind of threw things off around here.  This proud grandma couldn't get things done like normal for a few days, but I do have some fun things going on. On the way home from the birthing center, my DH asked if I wanted to stop at the Habitat for Humanity Restore.  Well, of course!  I have decided to sell my "too big for my room" beautiful Arrow sewing desk.  We found this and it is perfect for my spot!
I don't know if you can see, but the top drawer is scalloped and so cute.  I just love vintage, don't you?  I cleaned it up and now I need to make a Sewing Machine Mat for my Janome MC9000.  I think I'll use these and blog about it when I'm actually make it.
Next, because I can't stay off Craigslist, I saw this beauty for a very reasonable price.  
I got my daughter, baby and 2 year old settled w…

A Convertible Sewing Machine Cover

Here's what been on and in and around my needles this week:

I love to fix up old or discarded sewing machines to resell and I came across this one for sale on Facebook:
The woman let me have it very reasonably because she could not get the tension right.  I wasn't sure I could, but it's such a beauty I wanted to try.  With some thorough cleaning, and adjusting and smoothing out, it works like a dream.  I would even say it hums!  It sews so much like my Janome that I had to look it up.  Sure enough, this Kenmore model is made by Janome.  Very heavy duty.   I wanted to protect it and have a good mat, so I decided I would make a convertible machine mat that, when not in use, could be used as a cover.  It needed to have pockets for my needles and goodies, so I designed it with some.  Here is what I did:
You will need: 3 fat quarters, cut into 2 1/2" strips 1 piece of batting cut to 19" x 33" 1 piece of matching fabric for the back cut the same as batting One 3" str…