Skip to main content

Tension relief! ...finally...

After weeks of off and on unpicking stitches, I finally was able to finish the Skateboard quilt number 1 and am onto the next one!



This twin size quilt is bound in yellow and wrapped up, ready to be gifted to my #1 grandson.  I am pleased with it and hopefully he will be, too!

So, what did I do to fix the tension on my longarm?  Very simple.  I asked for young eyes and fingers to help me.  In my tension sagas, I related how I used videos to retime my machine, cleaned every nook and cranny, changed umpteen needles, tried different threading variations, felt and looked for burs and sanded everything.  I felt I couldn't get down and look under the quilt one more time!  Finally I talked about it at the dinner table with my daughter and family and told them I give up.  Remember I did call the nearest dealer and repair person and she said she couldn't come.  My daughter says, don't give up, let me look.  I explained what I had done and why and she took out the bobbin case, did what I did a hundred times- ran her finger over the hook and said, there's a rough spot here.  Do you think that's the problem?  She used my emery board, smoothed it out and we turned 'her' on.  Lo and behold, the stitches were smooth and even and just right.  
I guess even fingers can lose some of their feeling for burs after so many times!

I have started a second Skateboard quilt, this one lap size for my Etsy store, FridaySmiles.  I wish I could have a do over on my #1 grandsons quilt because I'm much happier with my quilting on this one:



The flames came out more even that on the first one.  I was hoping to do some stitch in the ditch on this one but realized that without a stitch regulator on this old girl, it's too much.  I will take it off when I'm finished quilting the sashing and do my stitch in the ditch around the border on my domestic machine.

Next week:  The Minecraft Quilt






SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Yogurt in my Instant Pot

I love my Instant Pot?  One reason is yogurt making.  I decided to record how I do this today for my memory and for others that may want to try it.

My ingredients:

Whole Organic Milk, half gallon Good plain yogurt, about 2 heaping Tablespoons Optional:  1 capsule each, Culturelle and Bifido Biotics (or probiotics you like)
That's it!
Pour the milk in the pot
Press the Yogurt button, then press adjust and it should say, Boil.



(I know it's hard to see, but it says boil)
Now you can walk away.  Don't put the lid on.  It will stop when it has reached temperature.  Next is the hard part: WAIT
Let it cool down.  I let it cool to room temperature and don't give it much thought.  Others recommend checking the temp to between 110 and 115 degrees.  I don't worry about that.  I used to, but have found I often forgot to go back at exactly the right time, and since the pot heats it back to the right temp it still always works.  Then I can knit, watch tv, clean, whatever while I'm wait…

All about the Diamond Sword!

My grandson #2 loves Minecraft!  He helped me layout the skateboard blocks on grandson #1's quilt and I really thought I would make 2 to match.  Later his Dad told me he was not really into skateboards, but reminded me of his love of minecraft.  I showed him Weeknight Quilting's blog and asked if he thought I should do one like hers.   (The graph she drew up is wonderful!) So it was agreed.  The Diamond Sword was started!   I like to use my AccuQuilt for most of my  cutting and since I only had a 5" square die at that time, that's the size I cut my pieces.  There are a ton of squares!  Following the graph, I laid them out in sections on a flannel board and sewed.  and sewed.  Finally it was coming together!  I could see a sword!
I used scraps of different whites, creams and grays and blues. My girlfriend had the gold and I did add to the grays with a fat quarter pack from JoAnn's premium fabrics.  Then I saw a perfect print for the center of the sword!  
I got all the…